Thursday, February 25, 2010

Leaving Tomorrow!

After more than a year of waiting, the time has finally come to leave for the Peace Corps. I fly from Raleigh/Durham to Philadelphia tomorrow morning for staging, which is basically orientation. Fingers crossed that the snow storm doesn't delay or cancel my flight!

To give you an idea of what I'll be doing in Malawi, I'm going to be an environmental volunteer. I'll probably be stationed in a village near one of Malawi's national parks or forest reserves, and will work with the national parks or forestry department, or an NGO, to deal with deforestation. That will be my primary job. I will also probably find secondary projects to do based on the needs of my community. For example, I may help improve agricultural productivity in the village, help a women's group start a small business cooperative, or work on AIDS prevention and treatment. There are many possibilities for what I'll be able to work on when I'm there, and I'll decide what to do after I talk with community members to see what they need.

One of the keys in Peace Corps work is to develop sustainable programs for the communities in which we serve. Anything I do will be done in a way that it can be continued by the host country nationals after I leave. I hope that I'll be able to make a lot of positive changes to help community members eventually pull themselves out of poverty and have a better quality of life. That said, I've also been forewarned that this type of work is often slow, and it can be difficult to acheive results. One thing I'll need to work on while there will be managing my own expectations, and being a little more laid-back about the way I work. We'll see how that goes!

In addition to my Peace Corps job, I also hope to do some writing while I'm there - personal writing, journalism, and maybe some sociological study. I'm taking a Flip video camera with me as well and hope to put together some pieces. I don't know how much I'll be able to post here because of slow Internet speeds, but I'll try to get some things up over the course of my time there. Let me know if there's anything in particular you're interested in seeing or hearing about.

I'm off to finish some last-minute details and finalize my packing arrangements. Keep your fingers crossed for my on-time departure tomorrow!

This may be my last post for a couple months, since I won't have Internet access at all during our initial training. But, I'll update again as soon as I'm able. Until then!

10 comments:

  1. This is great!!! I do wish you safe travels and best wishes for a blessing of a time!!! Letters to come....I have lots of practice! Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adventure. Good luck, Sara! Be safe! I'm looking forward to seeing how you progress during this grand adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara, Laura and I are so excited to follow your adventures via this blog. Have a very safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear from you, Sara; this is a pretty exciting development. I admire your adventurousness and your desire to help others. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I AM SO PROUD OF YOU! I wish you all the best. I think this will be a life changing experience and they are so lucky to have you. Please write all about your journey. I am proud to have you as a friend. Go out and change the world girl! God bless you. Be safe. All the best. Jen O'Brien

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto!
    You're an amazing person and I know you will do amazing things to help the people of Malawi. Know that you have many people behind you, sending positive thoughts and love your way. Be safe, take good care, and enjoy every moment of this exciting journey.
    Love, Liz S.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to hear about all your adventures! I'm already working on your first letter :).


    Love you Sara Lane!!!!

    Jen Haley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Make us proud Sara! I'm so excited for you! Can't wait to read all your updates.

    Sabriya

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck, Sara! I'll be keeping up with you blog postings as well as writing you letters!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sara, this is so exciting! Be safe, stay heatlhy, and keep writing!

    --Steve R.

    ReplyDelete